Breakfast (on the go)
- 2 hard boiled eggs…plain. NO KETCHUP (omg, congratulations to me!)
- A few lime & chili almonds (packaged, and contains a handful of naughty ingredients that are definitely not Paleo-friendly. But it’s what I had with me, and I’ve already saved several homemade chili-lime nut recipes that I’ll tackle this weekend).
Snack (@ work)
- Half a slice of SOO brand pork jerky (also packaged from the store, but again, it’s what I had on hand and it was my way around not having to trek out of the office to find a protein-rich snack).
- A couple more lime & chili almonds.
Lunch (@ the staff cafeteria/buffet/lunch room)
- Mystery beef stew – Flavourful but the sauce was kind of fatty. I sure hope it’s natural fatty from the meat…
- Slice of turkey – I threw this into my beef stew bowl to give it some flavour.
- Steamed veggies (broccoli, green beans, peppers, carrots) – Threw this in the beef stew bowl too. Yum. As I was eating these veggies though, I wondered “Are green beans Paleo-friendly? They contain pea-like legume-y insides.” So after asking my close friend, Google, I found that “Snow peas, sugar snap peas, and green beans are the exception to the no-beans rule because those vegetables are green and are more pod than pea.” (dummies.com). This means less anti-nutrients like phytic acid and lectins (paleoplan.com), which is why the Paleo diet advises against legumes in the first place. As long as green beans are eaten in moderation, they are OK. Hoorah!
- Chicken pot pie filling – I didn’t actually end up eating this at all. I realized after I slopped it onto my plate that the sauce probably contains dairy and flour (as a thickener). I was pretty proud of myself for staying away from this one, because I looooove chicken pot pie!
Snack (@ the airport, waiting to board my flight)
- A happy orange! 🙂 (I feel like I should’ve given him a nose…)
- Tostada salad from Andale, sans beans and didn’t eat the tostada bowl. I had this last week coming through this airport as well. Essentially it’s spicy slow-cooked chicken with organic greens, avocado, cucumber, tomatos, onions, and mangoes on top. It doesn’t even need dressing, since the sauce from the chicken is already so tasty! And you can’t tell from the photo, but there is a generous amount of protein underneath all that green. I didn’t ask them to leave out the cheese here, but I already warned you that cheese would not be lightly sacrificed during this process…bwahaha…
- Ate much more Paleo than not today. Not too bad for my first day…right? Especially since I’m on the road? AmIright? Sigh…I’ll try harder tomorrow.
- Starting Whole30 while I’m out of town was maybe not the greatest idea. I’ve had to make do with what I have access to, or what I have already (which, as you can see from the almonds and pork jerky, are not homemade or fully Paleo).
- Apparently you’re supposed to eat 3 full meals a day and NOT snack. Honestly, I can’t not snack. It’s just part of my day and a habit that will be tough to break. I’ll try, but no guarantees…
Thoughts? I’m pretty sure I felt full for longer after meals today than I usually do. Instead of glancing at the clock every 10 mins starting at 10am to find out how far away the next meal is, I didn’t really even feel hungry until my coworkers reminded me it was time to go have lunch. I hope this is real and not just some placebo effect…